Apple Crostata tastes as superb as pie, however with half the hassle! A wonderful swirl of apples tops a buttery crust for a picture-perfect tart.
This Apple Tart Recipe eliminates the dreaded process of rolling out a double pie crust, then praying it is going to maintain collectively properly sufficient to be crimped and baked into one thing that appears nearly as good because it tastes. A crostata removes all these worries as there’s just one crust, and it’s largely lined in fruit!
Why You’ll Love this Apple Tart Recipe
- This crostata recipe has the identical parts as an apple pie, however with only one crust!
- It’s a lot simpler than making a pie. Plus, it’s imagined to look rustic, so no worries if the crust cracks, and so on.
- Except you add a scoop of ice cream and a wholesome drizzle of caramel sauce, every serving could have loads fewer energy than a comparable slice of pie.
- Pantry Components – Sugar, All-purpose Flour, Salt
- Butter – Have to be very chilly. Salted butter is okay.
- Ice Water – Utilizing very chilly water helps make a flakier crust. Use ice cubes to relax the water, however take away earlier than measuring.
- Apples – Tart agency apples like Granny Smith work properly. Different choices are listed beneath.
- Heavy Cream – 36% Butterfat really helpful
- Lemon Zest – Have to be freshly zested lemon peel. Don’t use any dry, jarred model.
- Apricot Preserves – Could substitute apple jelly or one other neutral-colored jelly or preserves to glaze the apples.
Learn how to Make a Crostata
An apple crostata or galette is an excellent straightforward pastry to make. It solely includes one crust, which makes it lighter in energy and less complicated to make.
- Roll the pastry dough into a big circle.
- Unfold the perserves over the crust earlier than including the apples as a barrier to any moisture together with some taste enhancement.
- Layer the apple slices in concentric circles over the pastry then fold the perimeters over simply an inch or so to retain the apples and their juices.
- Brush the crust with cream and sprinkle with sugar to finish the method.
- Bake till the apples are tender.
The apple lovers in your life will take pleasure in this stunning apple crostata. And also you received’t break a sweat making it!
Steadily Requested Questions
They’re each flat tarts baked on a baking or cookie sheet. Crostata is the Italian model and a Galette is the French model. Principally, they’re the identical kind of dessert with completely different names.
The phrase crostata is derived from the Italian phrase for “encrust.”
Apples for a crostata ought to be agency and tart. I used Granny Smith apples, however Pink Girl would have labored properly, too, with out being fairly as tart. Jonagold, Honeycrisp, Braeburn, and Mutsu are additionally good choices.
Pierce the apples with a pointy knife to see in the event that they’re cooked. If it goes in simply, the apples are performed. The crust ought to be properly browned, too.
This crostata could be saved at room temperature for a day or two. After that, it’s finest to maintain it lined within the fridge for one more couple of days to forestall the apples from deteriorating.
You Could Additionally Like:
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) chilly butter, minimize into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons ice water (roughly)
- 1 1/2 kilos Granny Smith apples (about 3-4 apples), peeled, cored and minimize into 1/8 inch slices
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves, peach jam, or in my case some do-it-yourself peach-apricot jam
- Cream, to glaze
- Put flour, salt, and sugar in a meals processor. Pulse a few occasions to combine. Add butter and pulse until combination resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Add 2 tablespoons of ice water and pulse until mixed. Pinch dough to see if it holds collectively. If dry, add as much as 3 extra tablespoons of water a teaspoon at a time until a cohesive dough varieties. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Toss apples in 3 tablespoons of sugar and lemon peel. Put aside and let the chilly dough soften at room temperature barely.
- Roll dough right into a 14-inch circle between 2 sheets of parchment, place on a rimless baking sheet, then chill for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450º. Take away the highest sheet of parchment. Unfold preserves over the middle of the dough, leaving the outer 1 1/2-2 inches of crust plain.
- Organize apples in concentric circles over preserves, overlapping barely. Use the underside sheet of parchment to fold apple-free edges of the dough excessive of the tart.
- The dough is kind of fragile, so permit the dough to heat up at room temperature if cracking happens. Pinch collectively any cracks. Brush uncovered crust with cream and sprinkle crust and apples with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Bake 20 minutes, then cut back oven temperature to 375º and bake one other half-hour or until crust is golden and apples are tender.
- Take away to rack and run a knife between galette and parchment to permit for simpler launch when cooled.
- Serve in wedges dusted with powdered sugar or with vanilla ice cream.
In case your apples are tremendous tart, be at liberty to toss them with some additional sugar.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 262Complete Fats: 3gSaturated Fats: 2gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 7mgSodium: 84mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 4gSugar: 28gProtein: 4g