These delicate Birthday Cake Cookies are topped with a wonderfully candy cream cheese frosting and birthday cake crumbs. My recipe is 100% from-scratch, a number of enjoyable to make, and takes simply 45 minutes to prep! Recipe features a how-to video!
The BEST Birthday Cake Cookies Recipe
When the birthday cake craving hits, skip the full-sized ordeal and make these birthday cake cookies as a substitute! My 100% from-scratch recipe is made with out cake combine and consists of soppy, tender cookies topped with a candy (however not too candy) cream cheese frosting. These are as decadent as a slice of funfetti cake (with the textures to match!) all wrapped up in a cookie!
To actually take these excessive, I’m including my crisp, cake batter-flavored confetti crumbs that I simply shared earlier this week. After all, you’ll be able to all the time simply use sprinkles, however I like to recommend making an attempt the recipe as written a minimum of as soon as.
What You Want
There are fairly a number of substances within the photograph above, so I’ll simply spotlight crucial ones:
- Cake flour. I discover that cake flour supplies one of the best texture and taste for each the cookies themselves and the cake crumbs. It creates a finer, softer crumb and I simply wasn’t as thrilled with the outcomes when all-purpose flour was substituted.
- Cream cheese. This retains our icing from being too candy and provides to the birthday cake taste. With a candy cookie and candy icing, the delicate tang of the cream cheese frosting tempers the general sweetness of the cookies. Use brick-style cream cheese (not the spreadable type!).
- Vanilla. I take advantage of clear vanilla within the cookies and icing so as to add that traditional “cake batter” taste everyone knows and love. It’s completely a man-made taste, but it surely’s what you consider once you assume “birthday cake”. After all you’ll be able to all the time use common vanilla extract as a substitute.
- Confetti crumbs. These are optionally available, however I extremely advocate making them! You’ll be able to whip them up whereas your dough is chilling.
SAM’S TIP: Be at liberty to paint your frosting! I desire to make use of gel meals coloring for this because it has a extra vibrant coloration than liquid dyes.
Bear in mind, that is simply an summary of the substances I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll right down to the underside of the publish!
Methods to Make Birthday Cake Cookies
- Cream collectively the butter and sugar, then add the eggs and vanilla and stir properly.
- Mix the dry substances in a separate bowl, then step by step add them to the moist substances.
- Type the dough right into a disc, wrap tightly, and chill for a minimum of an hour. The dough is simply too sticky to handle with out chilling.
- Roll out the chilled dough on a frivolously floured floor, lower it into 2″ circles, and place on a parchment lined sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes and let cool fully earlier than frosting.
- Put together the frosting (it’s easy, simply cream every little thing collectively till clean!).
- Pipe or unfold your frosting onto the cooled cookies.
- Prime the cookies with confetti crumbs and sprinkles.
SAM’S TIP: I like to interrupt up my confetti crumbs earlier than including them to my cookies. To do that, I merely place them in a ziploc bag and smack them with a rolling pin till they’re smaller and softer. This works higher than the bigger clumps you usually have after they’re first baked.
Incessantly Requested Questions
Due to the quantity of sugar within the frosting (and since they don’t usually last more than 48 hours in my home), I don’t really feel the necessity to refrigerate the cookies. Please do what you’re feeling is most secure on your family!
These cookies must be cakey, delicate, and melt-in-your-mouth. If yours are dry or robust, you probably over-baked them. They need to nonetheless be very pale once you pull them out of the oven.
I feel you’re actually going to love these 😊
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video under! For those who do this recipe, you’ll want to tag me on Instagram, and you can even discover me on YouTube and Fb
Birthday Cake Cookies
Servings: 22 cookies
Stop your display screen from going darkish
Mix softened butter and granulated sugar in a big bowl and use an electrical mixer (or stand mixer) to beat till mild, creamy, and well-combined.
Stir in egg, egg white, and vanilla extract till fully included.
In a separate bowl, whisk collectively cake flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt.
Step by step add the dry substances to the moist substances, stirring on low-speed till fully mixed (I’ll often add the flour combination in 4 elements, stirring till just-combined after every addition).
Type dough right into a 1” thick disk and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour earlier than continuing (observe: whereas the dough chills you’ll be able to put together your confetti crumbs, linked within the substances record above).
As soon as dough has chilled, preheat your oven to 350F (175C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or bake cookies straight on ungreased cookie sheet).
Take away chilled dough from the fridge and switch to a clear, frivolously floured floor. Use a rolling pin to roll dough to be between ¼-½” (about 1 cm) thick (see observe when you have any problem).
Use a 2” (5cm) spherical cookie cutter to chop out cookies as shut collectively as doable and place on ready baking sheet, spacing cookies a minimum of 2” (5cm) aside.
Bake in 350F (175C) oven for 8-10 minutes. Permit cookies to chill on their baking sheet for a minimum of 5-10 minutes earlier than rigorously eradicating to a cooling rack to chill fully earlier than adorning.
Mix butter and cream cheese and use an electrical mixer to stir collectively till clean, creamy, and lump-free.
Step by step add powdered sugar till fully mixed.
Stir in vanilla extract and salt.
Pipe or unfold frosting over cooled cookies (I take advantage of a ½” open tip for piping). Instantly high with confetti crumbs, if utilizing (or simply high with sprinkles!).
Clear vanilla extract
“Clear” vanilla extract is imitation vanilla. It has a extra synthetic style that many individuals affiliate with a birthday cake or cake batter taste. Utilizing it in these recipes will give your cookies extra of that taste, however you could completely substitute common vanilla extract as a substitute (I usually do as I desire to keep away from synthetic flavors, however I would like you to know your choices!)..
Problem rolling dough
If the dough is just too sticky to roll, return it to the fridge to sit back for longer. If it’s nonetheless too sticky, double-check that you haven’t mis-measured any substances, however you’ll be able to mud with flour to make it manageable. If the dough is just too tough to roll and/or is cracking, let it sit at room temperature for a bit earlier than making an attempt to roll once more).
Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as 4 days. You might also wrap properly and freeze for a number of months.
Serving: 1cookie | Energy: 261kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 3g | Fats: 13g | Saturated Fats: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1g | Monounsaturated Fats: 3g | Trans Fats: 0.4g | Ldl cholesterol: 42mg | Sodium: 126mg | Potassium: 30mg | Fiber: 0.4g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 403IU | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 0.2mg
Dietary info is predicated on third-party calculations and must be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will range primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.