Prep 30 minutes
Cook dinner 30 minutes
Complete 1 hr
Spicy and barely smoky, this wealthy Caldo de Albondigas is the proper Mexican meatball soup. Loaded with veggies it’s additionally fairly wholesome.
The Finest Mexican Meatball Soup
Full of the spicy smokiness from the chipotle, this Mexican meatball soup will get extra thrilling with each spoonful. It has veggies, spices, mint, and many tender meatballs with rice. Simmered for about 20 minutes, it’s fairly simple to make.
When you roll the meatballs, all you need to do is mix the broth’s components and let time do the remainder for you. The carrots, zucchini, and potatoes add sweetness and naturally stability out the flavors— which turn into extra advanced by the minute.
Soupy or cooked a little bit longer for a extra stew-like dish, caldo de albondigas is equally comforting. Dunk a corn tortilla in and dig proper in. It’s the last word Mexican consolation meals when you’re up for the journey.
What Is Caldo de Albondigas?
Caldo de albondigas is a Mexican dish sometimes served for lunch. It consists of a lightweight however flavorful beef-tomato broth with meatballs. It’s a soupy dish and is commonly made with a wide range of veggies like potatoes, zucchini, and carrots.
Simmered till the meatballs are cooked by, the broth is a mix of spicy and fragrant components like chipotle and mint. Loved year-round, it’s at all times an excellent time to have caldo de albondigas.
Full of pantry staples, many of the components would possibly already be in your kitchen. Verify the recipe card on the backside of the put up for full quantities.
For the Meatballs
- Floor Beef
- Floor Pork – Be happy to substitute it for floor beef.
- White Rice
- Eggs – Don’t skip them as a result of they’re the binding agent.
- Onion – White onion is finest however you may as well use yellow onion.
- Garlic – You can too substitute it for 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder.
- Mexican Oregano – You can too use common oregano in a pinch, however Mexican Oregano will provide you with the perfect taste!
- Salt & Pepper
For the Broth
- Roma Tomatoes – Heirloom tomatoes additionally work when you take away many of the seeds.
- Tomato Bouillon – Swapping it for rooster bouillon can also be high quality.
- Chipotles in Adobo Sauce – This provides it a spicy kick however you may go away it out as properly.
- Cilantro –Use recent cilantro.
- Mint – It provides a little bit of freshness, however you may go away it out.
- Beef Broth – Rooster or veggie broth are good options.
For the Sopa
Easy methods to Make Genuine Caldo de Albondigas
Comply with these directions to make the perfect Mexican meatball soup you’ve ever had:
- Make the meatballs. Whisk the eggs in a small bowl. Add the meat, pork, rice, eggs, onion, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Combine till properly mixed. Roll the combination into meatballs the scale of 1 tablespoon. Set them apart.
- Mix it. Add the tomatoes, garlic, tomato bouillon, cumin, chipotles, cilantro, mint, and broth to a blender. Course of it till you get a easy combination.
- Add the veggies. Pour the broth into a big pot over medium-high warmth. You can too use a strainer to verify the soup is further easy. Add the mint, potatoes, carrots, and zucchini.
- Simmer it. Convey the soup to a lightweight simmer. Gently decrease the meatballs into the pot. Cook dinner for half-hour or till the meatballs are cooked by.
- Serve. Get pleasure from with a facet of tortillas, guacamole, and even pink rice.
Ideas for Success
These easy methods are my best-kept secret for caldo de albondigas.
- Add oatmeal. Mixing about 1/4 cup of rolled oats into the meatball combination will make them further filling and assist hold them good and smooth.
- Break the meatballs. Scorching scorching meatball soup can take some time to chill down. Velocity up the method by breaking them up together with your spoon.
- Add crema. Make your caldo de albondigas barely creamy by including about 1/2-1 tbsp of Mexican crema to every bowl and mixing it properly. Give it a go!
- Simmer it longer. For those who let the soup simmer for longer, you may scale back the broth to make a thicker, stew-like model of this dish.
What to Serve with Mexican Meatball Soup
Served with corn or flour tortillas, Mexican rice, and guacamole on the facet, this soup is a complete meal! Dunk the tortilla into the soup for the total Mexican expertise. Or as a substitute of tortillas, attempt these Selfmade Mexican Bolillos!
You can too have the guacamole on the facet or use the softened tortillas to make tacos. Additionally, don’t overlook so as to add pink rice to the soup! Numerous Mexican folks do it, and for an excellent cause.
Easy methods to Retailer Leftovers
Refrigerate any cooled leftovers in an hermetic container for as much as 5 days. Reheat the soup within the microwave for as much as two minutes or till heat. You can too do it in a pot over medium-low warmth for 4-5 minutes.
Can I Freeze Albondigas Soup?
Sure, however I like to recommend doing so with none veggies. The broth and meatballs will maintain up properly however the veggies will unfastened their texture when frozen, which may be disagreeable as soon as thawed.
Place it in a freezer-friendly container for as much as 3 months. To thaw, merely switch it to the fridge in a single day a day earlier than able to serve. Then warmth it on the range or within the microwave.
Extra Genuine Mexican Recipes
Yield: 8 servings
Caldo de Albondigas (Mexican Meatball Soup)
Spicy and barely smoky, this wealthy Caldo de Albondigas is the proper Mexican meatball soup. Loaded with veggies it is also fairly wholesome!
Cook dinner Time
- 1 pound floor beef
- 1 pound floor pork
- 1/4 cup white rice
- 2 massive eggs
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon floor black pepper
- Broth (above)
- Meatballs (above)
- 2 sprigs mint
- 2 massive potatoes, peeled and lower into 1 inch items
- 3 massive carrots, peeled and lower into 1 inch items
- 2 zucchini, cubed into 1 inch items
- Meatballs: Mix the bottom beef, floor pork, rice, eggs, onion, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Combine properly, then roll into meatball sized balls. Put aside.
- Broth: In a blender or meals processor, puree all components (tomatoes, onion, garlic, bouillon, cumin, chipotles, cilantro, mint and broth) till easy.
- Pour the broth into a big pot over medium-high warmth. Add the mint, potatoes, carrots and zucchini.
- Convey to a simmer after which rigorously add the meatballs one by one. Cook dinner for half-hour, till the meatballs are cooked by.
- Serve with scorching tortillas or bread (like these selfmade Boillos), as desired!
Storage: Refrigerate any cooled leftovers in an hermetic container for as much as 5 days. Reheat the soup within the microwave for as much as two minutes or till heat. You can too do it in a pot over medium-low warmth for 4-5 minutes.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 518Complete Fats: 27gSaturated Fats: 10gTrans Fats: 1gUnsaturated Fats: 14gLdl cholesterol: 161mgSodium: 1547mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 40g
This put up might include affiliate hyperlinks. Learn my disclosure coverage.