My chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream recipe makes use of actual melted chocolate for one of the best taste! This chocolate frosting has a sensational silky texture and is ideal for individuals who desire frosting that’s not too candy. Recipe features a how-to video!
Completely Candy Chocolate Frosting
Searching for a pipeable, versatile chocolate frosting that’s not too candy? This chocolate swiss meringue buttercream is the reply! It’s silky clean, buttery, and has a definite chocolate taste (due to melted chocolate moderately than cocoa powder!). Immediately I’m pairing it with cupcakes produced from my yellow cake recipe (coming very quickly!), and it’s merely gorgeous.
I believed creating this recipe can be so simple as including cocoa powder to my traditional Swiss meringue buttercream (like with my chocolate buttercream), however not so. After many makes an attempt, I discovered that in an effort to obtain a wealthy, distinct chocolate taste, we have to use melted chocolate (and a darkish, excessive share cacao chocolate at that!). A couple of different modifications have been so as as properly, together with rising the salt and lowering the egg whites to get the feel and taste simply proper.
Swiss meringue buttercream is a little more tough than American buttercream, so I’m together with a lot of ideas that will help you have success. I extremely advocate watching the video first, particularly if that is your first time making a meringue!
What You Want
Simply six elements come collectively to make this fabulous chocolate frosting. Listed below are the essential ones:
- Egg whites. I don’t advocate utilizing the egg whites that are available in a carton; these are likely to have combined outcomes and received’t persistently whip to stiff peaks.
- Granulated sugar. In contrast to most chocolate frostings, my chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream makes use of granulated sugar as an alternative of powdered or confectioner’s sugar. You’ll need to ensure the sugar absolutely dissolves into the egg whites whereas it’s cooking; simply rub a small quantity between your fingers and be sure to don’t really feel any grit to verify it’s all dissolved.
- Unsalted butter. Use unsalted butter! In case you use salted butter, your frosting will probably be too salty (even in case you have been to omit the salt!). Ensure that your butter is softened; it shouldn’t be chilly, but it surely additionally shouldn’t be melty. When you’ve got an instant-read thermometer useful, use it and search for a temp of about 60 levels Fahrenheit.
- Chocolate. Use a darkish or bittersweet chocolate with a excessive cacao share. Bars are greatest moderately than chocolate chips, although chips will work in a pinch too. I don’t like to make use of semisweet chocolate; I feel it makes this frosting too candy.
SAM’S TIP: If you’re in search of a approach to make use of up your egg yolks, I’ve many recipes that use this precise quantity, together with: eclair cake, coconut cream pie, lemon pie, banana cream pie, chocolate pie, and cream puffs.
Bear in mind, that is simply an outline of the elements I used and why. For the complete recipe please scroll all the way down to the underside of the publish!
Learn how to Make Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Whisk collectively the sugar, egg whites, and salt in a double boiler till the sugar dissolves fully (combination shouldn’t be gritty if a small bit is rubbed between your fingers).
- Connect your bowl to a stand mixer and beat the meringue till it reaches stiff peaks.
- Let the meringue cool fully, then add in butter one tablespoon at a time (don’t add the subsequent Tablespoon till the earlier one has been fully included).
- Drizzle in your (cooled!) melted chocolate, then stir within the vanilla extract. Use as desired.
SAM’S TIP: You’ll know your meringue has reached stiff peaks when it holds its form (doesn’t flip over or fall) when the whisk is lifted out of the bowl. For a visible, take a look at my meringue cookies publish or the video within the recipe card.
Swiss meringue buttercream is vulnerable to temperature and may curdle if it will get too cool or turn into soupy if it will get too heat. Right here’s the right way to forestall this from occurring:
- Don’t add your butter till the meringue has fully cooled. Really feel the underside or sides of the bowl, it mustn’t really feel heat to the contact.
- Ensuring your butter shouldn’t be too heat or chilly whenever you add it (~60F is good).
- Hold beating your frosting till all the butter is added; generally it will probably curdle when the butter is launched however comes again along with a great combine!
- In case your buttercream simply isn’t coming again collectively, strive putting it within the fridge for a couple of minutes earlier than beating once more.
- Ensure that your chocolate is clean and melted however NOT heat earlier than including it (stir it periodically to make sure even temperature all through and, once more, really feel the underside of the bowl and ensure it isn’t heat).
- In case your buttercream has become an entire mess, take a look at this information on rescuing Swiss Meringue Buttercream from Severe Eats!
Continuously Requested Questions
I attempted this methodology however wasn’t pleased with the outcomes, the flavour was flat and never almost as chocolatey appropriately. Utilizing melted chocolate imparts one of the best chocolate taste and texture, and that’s what I like to recommend.
It feels like your frosting could be too heat. This will stem from a number of points; take a look at my troubleshooting part above for assist.
Sure! This chocolate frosting will freeze properly for as much as 3 months. You’ll have to thaw it to room temperature earlier than whipping it again to the correct texture.
In case you plan to frost your cupcakes as generously as I did right here, you’ll solely be capable to cowl about 12. In case you do a extra acceptable quantity (in line with some 😉), you possibly can cowl 24.
Take pleasure in!
Let’s bake collectively! I’ll be strolling you thru all of the steps in my written recipe and video beneath! In case you do this recipe, you’ll want to tag me on Instagram, and you can too discover me on YouTube and Fb
Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Servings: 6 cups
Forestall your display from going darkish
Earlier than you start: It could be useful to observe the video above earlier than starting when you have by no means made a meringue buttercream earlier than. Additionally, ensure your whole bowls and instruments are clear, dry, and grease-free!
Arrange your double boiler: Chances are you’ll use a double boiler, a medium-sized saucepan with a bowl that matches snugly in with out touching the underside or, my desire, a metallic stand mixer bowl that matches snugly in a medium-sized saucepan with out touching the underside.
Within the bowl of your double boiler, whisk collectively granulated sugar, egg whites (ensure there’s no yolk combined in!) and salt till fully mixed.
Fill a medium-sized saucepan with about 1 ½” of water and ensure your egg whites bowl rests within the saucepan with out touching the water. Take away bowl, flip stovetop warmth to medium, and produce water to a simmer.
As soon as simmering, place bowl on the saucepan and whisk the contents continuously till the sugar is dissolved and/or the combination reaches at the very least 160F (71C). To check if the sugar is dissolved, take a small drop of the combination and rub it between your fingers, it ought to really feel clean and never gritty.
Take away the bowl and wipe the underside dry. If utilizing a double boiler bowl, switch to the bowl of a stand mixer, and if utilizing a stand mixer bowl connect to your stand mixer now. Match mixer with a whisk attachment and start to beat the combination on medium pace. Slowly enhance pace to excessive and beat till meringue is thick and shiny and considerably elevated in quantity and you’ve got reached stiff peaks (which means the height that varieties whenever you carry the beater out of the combination holds its form and doesn’t fold over or fall again in on itself). This can take roughly 8 minutes, in the meantime, soften your chocolate:
Place chopped chocolate in a microwave protected bowl and soften in 20-second intervals, stirring properly in between, till chocolate is totally clean and melted. Put aside.
As soon as your meringue has reached stiff peaks, swap the whisk attachment for a paddle attachment. Ensure that the combination is cooled to room temperature; the surface of the bowl mustn’t really feel heat anyplace you contact it.
Set mixer pace to medium and add butter, one Tablespoon at a time, not including the subsequent Tablespoon till the earlier one is totally combined into the meringue.
As soon as butter has all been added, examine your chocolate temperature. It ought to nonetheless be clean and melted however mustn’t really feel heat to the contact. As soon as it meets this standards, slowly drizzle it into your buttercream with mixer on low-speed.
Stir in vanilla extract, scrape the edges and backside of the bowl, and stir briefly to make sure every little thing is properly included.
Use as desired over truffles or cupcakes.
Stand mixer/electrical mixer
You may make this recipe and not using a stand mixer, you’ll need an electrical mixer although and will probably be fairly an arm exercise as you’ll spend quite a lot of time mixing on excessive pace.
For greatest outcomes, use contemporary egg whites. I’ve had readers report combined outcomes utilizing carton egg whites, they aren’t assured to whip correctly and whipping to stiff peaks is crucial for this frosting recipe.
Frosting could also be stored at room temperature for as much as 48 hours. It could be made a number of days upfront of utilizing and saved in an hermetic container with a chunk of plastic wrap straight in opposition to the floor. The frosting might want to come to room temperature once more (this may take fairly a very long time relying on the heat of your kitchen) and be re-whipped with the paddle attachment of the mixer earlier than utilizing
This recipe yields roughly 6 cups of frosting, which I’ve discovered to be sufficient to frost 24 cupcakes, and sufficient to generously frost a 8” or 9” 2 layer cake, a 13×9 cake.
Serving: 1cup | Energy: 1057kcal | Carbohydrates: 82g | Protein: 8g | Fats: 79g | Saturated Fats: 55g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2g | Monounsaturated Fats: 16g | Trans Fats: 2g | Ldl cholesterol: 163mg | Sodium: 305mg | Potassium: 420mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 70g | Vitamin A: 1897IU | Vitamin C: 0.3mg | Calcium: 192mg | Iron: 1mg
Dietary data relies on third-party calculations and needs to be thought of an estimate solely. Precise dietary content material will fluctuate primarily based upon manufacturers used, measuring strategies, cooking methodology, portion sizes, and extra.