One-Pot Creamy Sausage Rigatoni is an easy-to-make weeknight dinner made in simply half-hour! This rigatoni recipe options fundamental elements present in most grocery shops. Every part is cooked in a single pan on the stove-top: Italian sausage, creamy tomato sauce, and pasta. It is restaurant-quality consolation meals made at house!
One-Pan, 30-Minute Recipe
This creamy pasta dish is flavor-packed, straightforward to make, and appears like the principle course from a positive Italian restaurant. The great thing about the creamy sausage rigatoni is that it may be made on a busy weeknight as a result of it takes solely half-hour. Every part is cooked in a single pot on the stovetop. Not solely is it straightforward to make, but it surely additionally makes an exquisite presentation! You possibly can definitely make this incredible Italian recipe for particular events to deal with your loved ones, mates, and friends. Sausage Rigatoni has earned the spot of considered one of my household’s favourite pasta recipes! For those who like extra Italian sausage pasta inspiration, do not miss creamy sausage gnocchi or a preferred recipe on my web site: Italian sausage pasta with spinach and mushrooms.
Basic rigatoni recipe
Rigatoni is historically used with thick sauces, reminiscent of bolognese or a wealthy alfredo sauce. This recipe sticks to the custom through the use of the wealthy creamy tomato-based sauce and crumbled Italian sausage. Rigatoni is pasta with ridges which makes an ideal floor for sauces to coat. Ridged tubular pasta like rigatoni is ideal for thick, creamy sauces as thick pasta sauces stick higher to this sort of pasta due to the ridges on the pasta floor.
Why this recipe works
- Convey Italy to your dinner desk. Italian sausage is mixed along with rigatoni pasta, garlic, Italian seasoning, cream, marinara sauce (or every other tomato pasta sauce), and a sprinkle of crimson pepper flakes and contemporary herbs on prime. The flavour mixture is superb.
- This easy rigatoni dinner is made in half-hour and is ideal for busy weeknights or as a weekend meal.
- Cleanup is a breeze. Every part is cooked in a single pan on the stovetop, so the cleanup is minimal.
- Rigatoni is a tube-shaped quick pasta with ridges down its size.
- This sort of pasta originated in Italy, and the phrase rigatoni comes from the Italian phrase rigate which suggests ridged or lined.
- Rigatoni is without doubt one of the most favourite pasta dishes in Sicily, Italy, the place it’s usually used within the conventional Sicilian dish Pasta Alla Norma (sautéed eggplant tossed with tomato sauce and topped with ricotta salata cheese and basil).
- Rigatoni recipes often contain thick sauces, reminiscent of bolognese or a wealthy alfredo sauce.
What is an effective substitute for rigatoni?
As a result of each rigatoni and penne are tubular-shaped quick pasta, penne is your subsequent most suitable option. Do remember that pasta with ridges, reminiscent of rigatoni, is healthier for thick sauces just like the creamy tomato sauce on this recipe as a result of the sauce will stick higher to the surface floor with ridges. So in case you are to make use of penne, ensure you use penne with ridges.
How lengthy to prepare dinner rigatoni?
It is best to prepare dinner rigatoni al dente. To prepare dinner pasta al dente means to prepare dinner the pasta in order that it is smooth but agency on the core of the noodle. The pasta cooked al dente ought to really feel agency to the chew, laborious below your tooth, whereas being smooth but not mushy.
- To attain this fascinating pasta texture you usually should boil pasta 2 to three minutes shorter than regular. As an example, in case your bundle directions inform you to prepare dinner pasta for 12 minutes in boiling water that implies that to prepare dinner your pasta al dente, it’s best to prepare dinner it for 10 minutes (2 minutes much less) as soon as the water begins boiling.
What sort of sausage to make use of?
- Crumbled Italian Sausage. I used 15 oz of crumbled gentle Italian sausage. I used the gentle variety however solely as a result of my native grocery retailer was out of spicy Italian sausage. This recipe tastes good with some spice in it!
- Italian sausage hyperlinks. You may as well use Italian sausage in casings. I’d take away the casings and slice the sausage.
- Rooster or turkey sausage is one other nice possibility.
- Past Sausage, a model is a superb possibility for a plant-based, vegetarian model.
The Instructions – Tips on how to make sausage rigatoni
Right here I present detailed step-by-step photographs and directions on make this scrumptious Italian recipe! A extra detailed recipe is supplied within the recipe card under on the backside of this publish.
1) First, you’ll prepare dinner crumbled Italian sausage with 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium warmth in a big, high-sided, heavy-bottomed skillet on the stovetop. As soon as the sausage is totally cooked by way of, drain any grease or liquid.
2) Subsequent, you’ll add the remaining elements into the identical skillet. Begin with minced garlic and Italian seasoning:
3) Then, add raw rigatoni:
4) Add hen broth and heavy cream:
5) Add tomato sauce:
6) Combine the whole lot properly.
7) Then, carry the whole lot to a boil, cowl with the lid and prepare dinner for about 10 or quarter-hour till the pasta is cooked.
8) After that, add contemporary spinach to the skillet and prepare dinner on decrease warmth till the spinach wilts to your liking.
9) Lastly, give the whole lot a very good stir, and season with salt and pepper, or crimson pepper flakes, if desired!
Variations and substitutions
Sausage rigatoni is a versatile recipe that’s straightforward to regulate to no matter you’ve gotten accessible.
- Sausage. Use Italian gentle or spicy sausage, smoked sausage, andouille sausage, or cajun sausage.
- Veggies. Add greens of your selection. I used plenty of spinach on this recipe. You may as well add mushrooms, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, and onions.
- Pasta. Any form of quick pasta will work for this one-pan dinner. Rigatoni, penne, farfalle (bow-tie), fusilli (spiral pasta), and many others.
- Tomato sauce. I used a store-bought tomato-based sauce for pasta that is available in a glass jar. You should use any variety you want: tomato basil, roasted tomatoes, arrabbiata. You may as well use canned diced tomatoes or canned crushed tomatoes as an alternative of tomato sauce.
Cooking suggestions and suggestions
- Use a big high-sided heavy-bottomed skillet. It is the most effective form of pan to prepare dinner rigatoni on the stovetop. Thinner pans will trigger the sauce, sausage, and pasta to stay to the underside of the pan.
- Use crimson wine. Add a splash of dry crimson wine (about ¼ cup) to the creamy tomato-based sauce, should you like. It’s going to add richness and taste to the sauce, and is a really Italian factor to do!
- Spice it up! Sausage rigatoni pasta is the form of recipe that advantages from a bit of warmth. Use crimson pepper flakes to boost this dish, particularly if the sausage just isn’t spicy.
- Use crumbled sausage or take away casings from the sausage and slice the sausage into small items. Do that even should you use sausage hyperlinks. It will make the feel of the entire dish significantly better!
- Make this recipe gluten-free through the use of gluten-free quick pasta – there are lots of choices available on the market proper now.
- Toppings. Prime the pasta with grated Parmesan cheese, crimson pepper flakes, and chopped contemporary herbs, reminiscent of parsley or basil.
- Salt. Often, most sausages are fairly salty, so do not add any salt in any respect or add little or no as the entire dish would possibly already be salty sufficient from sausage.
Storage and reheating suggestions
Sadly, creamy sauces are infamous for being troublesome to reheat. The cream-based sauce solidifies actually quick within the fridge, and while you reheat it, it loses its silky creamy consistency. So long as you might be conscious of the actual fact the leftover sausage rigatoni may have extra inferior texture than freshly made, listed below are my suggestions:
- Fridge. Retailer creamy sausage rigatoni in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
- Freezer. I don’t advocate freezing this dish.
- Reheat within the microwave oven. Reheat the refrigerated sausage pasta in a microwave oven for about 30 seconds. Stir, style, and reheat for 30 seconds extra, if wanted. Repeat. You might need so as to add a splash of milk or heavy cream to skinny out the sauce.
- Reheat on the stovetop. Reheat this dish in a big, high-sided skillet on the stovetop on low-medium warmth. When utilizing this methodology, add a small quantity of heavy cream, or half-and-half, or milk to skinny out the sauce when reheating.
What to serve with sausage rigatoni
- Bread. Serve this straightforward recipe with one thing equally easy, reminiscent of a slice of store-bought, heat Italian bread, garlic bread, or olive bread loaf. Sausage rigatoni additionally pairs properly with baguette or sourdough bread. A slice of heat bread can be scrumptious to dip into the creamy tomato sauce.
- Easy salad. As a result of sausage rigatoni has a wealthy and creamy sauce, I extremely advocate serving a beneficiant serving of salad to go together with all that wealthy creaminess. I’d recommend a fundamental spinach or arugula salad, in all probability sprinkled with toasted nuts, a small quantity of shredded Parmesan or crumbled goat cheese, and dressed together with your favourite salad dressing!
Different sausage recipes you would possibly like
Creamy Sausage Rigatoni (One-Pan, 30-Minute Meal)
One-Pot Creamy Sausage Rigatoni is an easy-to-make weeknight dinner made in simply half-hour! This rigatoni recipe options fundamental elements present in most grocery shops. Every part is cooked in a single pan on the stove-top: Italian sausage, creamy tomato sauce, and pasta. It is restaurant-quality consolation meals!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 15 oz Italian sausage crumbled
- 8 oz rigatoni raw
- 1 cup hen broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or Herbs from Provence
- 15 oz tomato sauce reminiscent of tomato pasta sauce or marinara
- 5 oz contemporary spinach
- salt and coarsely floor black pepper to style
- crimson pepper flakes to style
Warmth 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium warmth in a big, high-sided, heavy-bottomed skillet on the stovetop.
Add crumbled sausage and prepare dinner on medium warmth for about 5 minutes, crumbling it, till it’s cooked by way of. Drain any grease or liquid.
To the identical skillet with sausage, add raw rigatoni, hen broth, heavy cream, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, and tomato sauce.
Convey to a boil on medium warmth and stir the whole lot properly. Cowl with a lid, and permit the pasta to prepare dinner for about 10 to fifteen minutes on medium warmth, whereas the sauce boils.
Prepare dinner till pasta reaches an “al dente” texture. Stir incessantly to forestall pasta and sausage from sticking to the underside of the pan.
Add contemporary spinach, and prepare dinner on medium warmth, stirring incessantly for a few minutes, till the spinach wilts to your liking.
Alternatively, simply take away the skillet from warmth, prime sausage rigatoni with spinach, cowl the pan with the lid. Let the spinach wilt, off warmth, within the residual warmth in a lined skillet for about 4 minutes. Then, stir.
Prepare dinner longer if you want a thicker sauce.
Combine the whole lot properly. Take away from warmth. Season with salt, freshly floor coarse black pepper, and crimson pepper flakes should you like.
Tip: use your greatest judgment concerning the salt. If the sausage is salty sufficient, you may not want so as to add any additional salt.
Observe: I present very useful step-by-step photographs for this recipe above the recipe card. Scroll up if you want to see the photographs that visually clarify this recipe.
The dietary data on this web site is just an estimate and is supplied for comfort and as a courtesy solely. The accuracy of the dietary data for any recipe on this web site just isn’t assured. It shouldn’t be used as an alternative choice to an expert nutritionist’s recommendation.