We love specialty espresso, however admittedly, the business isn’t too colourful. Past fashionable turbo photographs and latte artwork, essentially the most adventurous espresso drink we are able to lay declare to is Starbucks’ notorious Unicorn Frappuccino. Till now.
Bones Espresso is a small-batch espresso firm that’s out to alter all that. Preserve studying for House Grounds’ in-depth Bones Espresso overview of this Florda-based firm with all of the gothic vibes.
Abstract: Bones Espresso
- Espresso model finest identified for flavored espresso
- All espresso is Rainforest Alliance-certified
- All the time 100% Arabica espresso beans
That is palms down a number of the finest espresso round.
– Brian, Bones Espresso buyer
The Full Bones Espresso Evaluation
Having performed many espresso bean opinions, the overwhelming array of choices begins to mix collectively in our heads. No pun meant. However right now, we’re discussing a small-batch, Florida-based espresso firm whose aesthetic, product selection, and quirky character made us cease and take discover.
The Bones Espresso Firm is a family-run espresso firm that has as a lot taste because it does character. Devoted to high quality espresso, sustainability, truthful compensation for espresso farmers, and Rainforest Alliance certification, we are able to safely say this espresso needs to be savored guilt-free.
Based mostly in Cape Coral, FL, Bones Espresso started its foray into the connoisseur espresso world with signature flavors like Bones Strawberry Cheesecake Espresso and Maple Bacon (1). The general public drank up each drop of their distinctive espresso taste pairings, they usually’ve been transport their Arabica coffees world wide ever since.
Preserve studying this Bones Espresso overview to be taught extra in regards to the coffees accessible, the model’s dedication to sustainability, and the most effective brewing strategies for these Arabica espresso beans.
Espresso High quality and Taste – 4/5
The Bones Espresso Co. believes that espresso isn’t only a drink that wakes you up within the morning. They need it to be an occasion that will get you away from bed and jumpstarts your day (2).
In line with this dedication to high quality, each batch of Arabica espresso is hand-selected and examined to make sure that solely the most effective espresso beans make it to your bag. Every week, they obtain espresso bean samples from completely different espresso farms worldwide however select solely the most effective beans for every batch of flavored espresso and unflavored espresso. Anybody with a delicate abdomen will likely be happy to know that besides for his or her single origin coffees, all of Bones Espresso’s varieties are low-acid coffees. They’re additionally vegan and freed from sugar or synthetic sweeteners. The one origins and blends are Kosher.
Bones Espresso is extremely easy and flavorful. Whereas we are likely to favor single origins and blends over flavored coffees, the Bones Espresso flavors stunned us with their depth and character.
Choice and Selection – 3/5
Bones Espresso is finest identified for its enjoyable flavors of espresso. They’ve an unlimited choice of flavored coffees in decaf and caffeinated variations, so each espresso lover is bound to search out one thing to their style.
The 41 flavors embody classics like Chocolate Orange, Vanilla Caramel, Salted Caramel, Highland Grog, Egg Nog, and Toasted Marshmallow. However the place Bones Espresso actually stands out is the extra attention-grabbing flavors like Ruff Climate (oatmeal cream pie), Frog’s Breath (chocolate mole), Mudslide Boogie, Electrical Unicorn (fruity cereal), and French Toast. Don’t neglect the well-known Bones Espresso Smorey Time and Coconut Rum.
The From Nightfall Until Donuts is a private favourite Bones Espresso taste. Due to its medium-roast espresso and jelly donut flavoring, the cup profile is simply what you’d anticipate a jelly donut to be – easy, candy, jammy, with an additional kick from only a trace of brightness.
Single Origin Coffees
Bones Espresso additionally affords a number of single-origin coffees from well-known rising areas like Sumatra, Guatemala, Colombia, Costa Rica, and Ethiopia. The Costa Rican single origin comes from the famed area of Tarrazu. Grown at an altitude of three,800 to five,000 toes above sea stage, this single-origin espresso is a well-balanced medium roast with notes of brown sugar, raisins, and almonds. This medium roast blends Caturra and Catuai Arabica espresso beans collectively for a well-balanced and easy taste profile.
Bones Espresso affords a pattern pack with 4 ounces of single origin beans from every nation – excellent for the intrepid espresso explorer.
You can too create a customized pattern pack of 5 four-ounce baggage of flavored and unflavored coffees. The pattern pack is a superb worth possibility that ensures you’ll by no means get taste fatigue.
All of their espresso is out there both pre-ground or as entire beans. Most can be accessible packaged in a Ok-Cup model pod. Bones Espresso Ok-Cups are referred to as Bones Cups.
Roast Degree Selection
Your alternatives are restricted if you happen to’re searching for completely different roast ranges. They provide simply three darkish roasts – Military of Darkish Chocolate, Sumatra, and Darkish Roast mix – and the remainder are all medium roasts. Mild roast lovers must look elsewhere. There’s additionally a really restricted choice of blends, with only a darkish roast and a medium roast possibility.
We sampled the Military of Darkish Chocolate Bones Cups to see how they fare at nighttime roast division. Comprised of dark-roasted Brazilian Arabica espresso beans, this espresso is flavored with only a contact of darkish chocolate. Like their different espresso varieties, this one’s easy, wealthy, and indulgent.
Specialty Coffees: Bourbon Barrel-Aged Espresso and Swiss Water Decaf
This Bourbon Barrel-Aged espresso is a lower above the remainder of Bones Espresso’s huge array of choices. Earlier than the Arabica espresso beans are roasted, they age in high-quality, charred oak bourbon barrels till they’ve absorbed all that bourbon goodness. Then, Bones Espresso roasts the espresso beans to deliver out much more of the aged bourbon taste and a touch of smoke. It’s the pleasure of a espresso liqueur in an alcohol-free bundle.
As a fast be aware, if you happen to usually order your espresso beans pre-ground, this selection is simply bought as entire beans to protect the flavour.
Nearly all Bones Espresso flavors are additionally accessible in decaf choices. In line with their dedication to taste and high quality, their decaf coffees are Swiss water-processed. This chemical-free remedy is extensively thought-about to be the cleanest technique of decaffeination (3).
The Swiss Water Course of is a patented decaffeination technique that makes use of solely water to take away 99.9% of a espresso’s caffeine content material.
The result’s all the flavour with subsequent to no caffeine.
Brewing Strategies – 4.5/5
Bones Espresso is out there as entire beans, pre-ground espresso, and Ok-Cup codecs, making it appropriate for almost any brewing technique you favor. House Grounds suggests going with entire bean espresso at any time when potential, and these Bones espresso flavorss are not any exception (4).
Grinding espresso your self as quickly as potential earlier than brewing ensures the freshest and most flavorful cup. That mentioned, the flavour of flavored espresso tends to stay round in your grinder. So pre-ground espresso could be the higher possibility if you happen to hardly ever get pleasure from a flavored brew.
The Bones Espresso pre-ground choices go well with most brew strategies, together with computerized drip machines, French press, Aeropress, and pour over brewing.
For an espresso machine or Moka pot, you will have to grind Bones Espresso your self to get a finer grind. Likewise, chilly brew requires a coarser grind.
The Bones single-serve cups are suitable with each Keurig 1.0 and a pair of.0 brewers. So any Keurig machine or comparable single-serve espresso machine will work. The one brewing technique lacking is Nespresso. Bones Espresso doesn’t provide Nespresso-compatible capsules for any of its flavored or unflavored coffees.
Sustainability and Environmental Affect – 4/5
Bones Espresso has a formidable sustainability document in contrast with a lot of its friends. It partnered with native ECHO farms to make sure its burlap sacks, espresso chaff, and bourbon barrels get a second likelihood at life (5).
Headquartered in North Fort Myers, FL, ECHO is a global group that strives to fight starvation by empowering native farms by way of training and assets. By offering small scale farmers and their households with seeds, academic assets, and cutting-edge, agricultural strategies, ECHO seeks to offer native communities and their households hope.
Bones Espresso beans are additionally Rainforest Alliance-certified. The Rainforest Alliance certification ensures that every one espresso crops are cultivated by way of sustainable farming practices, truthful compensation is supplied to espresso farmers, and agricultural practices promote environmental sustainability.
Lastly, their single-serve Bones Cups are 100% recyclable, an essential element given the environmental disaster brought on by Ok-Cups. Even when it’s good to use a single-serve possibility on your Keurig, you are able to do so with out including much more plastic cups to landfills.
What We Favored:
- Enormous choice of flavors
- Rainforest Alliance-certified and 100% Arabica
- No added sugars or synthetic sweeteners
- Distinctive, colourful packaging
What We Didn’t Like:
- Bones Cups had weaker flavors
- Comparatively few unflavored espresso choices
- No USDA Natural or shade-grown coffees
Do Not Purchase Bones Espresso If…
- You need extra roast choices: Lovers of sunshine roast specialty espresso received’t discover something to select from with Bones Espresso, and darkish roast followers will discover restricted choices. As a substitute, think about Lifeboost espresso beans, which affords a considerable choice for each form of espresso lover. Grown at altitudes above 6,000 toes, Lifeboost Espresso is shade-grown beneath guava bushes. Whereas this larger elevation produces the most effective Arabica beans, shade-grown coffees additionally profit from the elevated nourishment from rising in a extra biodiverse ecosystem.
- You’re not excited about flavored espresso: Bones Espresso is finest identified for his or her distinctive flavored espresso. If Highland Grog and the like isn’t for you, try our Purity espresso overview for an incredible different. Purity Espresso affords a small however centered choice of premium espresso roasted along with your well being in thoughts. It’s certainly one of few manufacturers to be licensed Chicken Pleasant by the Smithsonian, probably the most rigorous espresso certifications.
- You’re searching for single origin Ok-Cups: Bones Espresso Firm affords an enormous choice of flavored Ok-Cups, however few unflavored choices and no single origins. For those who favor to drink espresso plain and easy, we advise Inexperienced Mountain Espresso‘s Ok-Cups.
Bones Espresso is for you if you happen to consider that colourful, flavorful, and ethically-sourced espresso is the spice of life. Whether or not you like the comfort of a single-serve Ok-Cup or benefit from the meditative expertise of grinding your espresso every morning, Bones Espresso’s intensive palette of flavors has one thing for, nicely, each palate.
- Bones Espresso. Press Equipment. (2022, July 4). Bones Espresso Firm; Bones Espresso Firm. https://www.bonescoffee.com/pages/presskit
- Bones Espresso. (2016, September 6). About us. Bones Espresso Firm; Bones Espresso Firm. https://www.bonescoffee.com/pages/about-us
- Dan Wooden. Understanding Swiss Water Course of Decaf – Candy Maria’s Espresso Library. (2020, October 5). Candy Maria’S Espresso Library. https://library.sweetmarias.com/understanding-swiss-water-process-decaf/
- Weathered Fingers Espresso. (2021, July 7). Weathered Fingers. Weathered Fingers. https://www.weatheredhandscoffee.com/weblog/whole-bean-coffee-or-pre-ground-coffee
- ECHO. What We Do – ECHO. (2022, August 2). ECHO. https://echonet.org/our-work/what-we-do/